The project timeline is the main timeline for your project. It is where all content and media is added, stored, and organized. This article will give you an in-depth look at the Project Timeline and its functions.
The Project Timeline contains a timeline workspace in the middle of the screen which houses the content tracks. Tools are found on the left side of the screen, tool options are on the right, and menus are on top.
Add Content Tracks
To add a content track, tap the Add tool. There are currently three different types of content you can add:
- Letters - a phrase or small portion of a phrase
- Images - pictures from your camera roll
- Backgrounds - image, solid color, or gradient color background
Select the type of content you would like, then tap the timeline to add it. This will create a track on the timeline.
Each piece of content is represented by a single track on the project timeline, regardless of the number of animations that are done to it. In my example, I have taken an excerpt from the poem "Leisure" by William Henry Davies:
Due to the types of animations performed with the words of this poem, it was broken up into three phrases:
- "What is this life if"
- "full of care"
- "We have no time to stand and stare"
These three phrases are represented by three tracks. The final track is a solid, white background.
There are several tools available in the Project Timeline to assist you in organizing the tracks. Keep in mind that the Project Timeline is just that, a timeline. Tracks can be moved and stretched along the timeline to adjust their starting and ending times. The majority of the tools in this workspace assist in making these adjustments.
The tracks in the Project Timeline represent content, but until a layout has been added, these representations are just empty place holders. To add a layout, you must navigate to the Layout Workspace.
Select a track using the Select tool. Tap the track you wish to edit, tap Go, then select Create Layout. The following are all available navigation options.
- Create Layout - This takes you to the Layout Workspace which is used to create a layout for your content. It is the first step of the animation process.
- Modify Layout - If you have already created a layout, you can return to the Layout Workspace and make adjustments to it. Be cautious when modifying a layout as it may affect any animations that have been assigned to it.
- Animation - If you have already created a layout, you can visit the Animation Timeline. This timeline stores and organizes all of the animation tracks for the selected piece of content.
- Render - Visit the Rendering Editor to turn your project into a video that can be stored on your device and shared on YouTube.
- Home - Return to the Home screen to start on a new or different project, or to exit the program.